Saturday, June 16, 2012

Psa 34.1-14

Psg: Psa 34.1-14 (http://biblia.com/bible/gs-netbible/Ps34.1-14)
Date: 6/16/12

Read

34:1 I will praise* the Lord at all times;
my mouth will continually praise him.*
34:2 I will boast* in the Lord;
let the oppressed hear and rejoice!*
34:3 Magnify the Lord with me!
Let’s praise* his name together!
34:4 I sought the Lord’s help* and he answered me;
he delivered me from all my fears.
34:5 Those who look to him for help are happy;
their faces are not ashamed.*
34:6 This oppressed man cried out and the Lordheard;
he saved him* from all his troubles.
34:7 The Lord’s angel camps around
the Lord’s* loyal followers* and delivers them.*
34:8 Taste* and see that the Lord is good!
How blessed* is the one* who takes shelter in him!*
34:9 Remain loyal to* the Lord, you chosen people of his,*
for his loyal followers* lack nothing!
34:10 Even young lions sometimes lack food and are hungry,
but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
34:11 Come children! Listen to me!
I will teach you what it means to fear theLord.*
34:12 Do you want to really live?*
Would you love to live a long, happy life?*
34:13 Then make sure you don’t speak evil words*
or use deceptive speech!*
34:14 Turn away from evil and do what is right!*
Strive for peace and promote it!*

Record

Remain loyal to the Lord, you chosen people of his (9).

Reflect


  • “chosen people”: “saints” (קְדֹשָׁיו); NET “holy ones of his”
    • How does the NET justify “chosen people”? There doesn’t appear to be a translator note to explain that choice.
  • “remain loyal”: “fear”
  • This was written to the Jews, however we can still apply the principle to our situation. We have this special status of being “saints” or “chosen people.” From that privileged position, rather than taking it for granted, we are to loyally fear the Lord.
  • Fearing the Lord is more than just having awe and reverence (which we would be doing well just to do that much to the full extent), but a commitment that leads to action. Living according to his Word, being active with his business. The allegiance is enfleshed with daily life, and it comes from this privileged position. We are the ones who should most fear him. We have the unique freedom to serve him freely. We are inside the Kingdom, and therefore have the privilege of working for his purposes.

Respond


  • Too often, I live as those who are outside the Kingdom - not necessarily in wanton sin, but with an attitude that I am living for my own agenda. Fearing you is to be your alert servant, looking for ways to serve your agenda, your purpose.
  • Thank you for changing me as much as you have, and for your promise to complete the work. Thank you that you have withheld nothing from me that I need in order to live for your Kingdom fully.
  • There is nothing I can live for that is more important than your agenda for mankind.

No comments:

Post a Comment