Saturday, June 2, 2012

Jn 10.22-30

Psg: Jn 10.22-30 (http://biblia.com/bible/gs-netbible/Jn10.22-30)
Date: 6/2/12

Read

10:22 Then came the feast of the Dedication* in Jerusalem.* 10:23 It was winter,* and Jesus was walking in the temple area* in Solomon's Portico.* 10:24 The Jewish leaders* surrounded him and asked,* "How long will you keep us in suspense?* If you are the Christ,* tell us plainly."* 10:25 Jesus replied,* "I told you and you do not believe. The deeds* I do in my Father's name testify about me. 10:26 But you refuse to believe because you are not my sheep. 10:27 My sheep listen to my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 10:28 I give* them eternal life, and they will never perish;* no one will snatch* them from my hand. 10:29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all,* and no one can snatch* them from my Father's hand. 10:30 The Father and I* are one."*

Record

My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all.

Reflect

  • The visual image here of the hand to convey security is compelling, but it is an image that by itself conveys no causation. What makes security secure is the fact that the Father gave the sheep to Jesus, and that this Father is greater than / superior to all.
  • Whatever the Father does, there is no one greater who can forcibly undo it (all undoing is specifically allowed by him).
    • So, the only way for someone to lose salvation is if the Father allows it (like he allowed the rebellious angels to lose their place).
    • The question of security, then, would be whether God allows it. The tenor of this passage is that he does not.
  • The Father gives the sheep to the Son.
    • This is a sovereign act.
    • This includes the Calvinist debate.
    • What exactly is the act of this giving? It seems to be the granting of eternal life, in effect. Those who are given to Christ are the ones who have eternal life, and those outside this group do not.
  • They will never perish.
    • Jesus sheep have eternal life and they will never perish. Period.
    • This statement does not allow for losing one's salvation, nor forfeiting one's salvation.
  • Not only is our salvation part of a larger spiritual battle, it is also part of a larger event between the Father and the Son.
    • The Son pays a transaction via the cross to the Father.
    • The Father gives to the Son glory, honor, and a gift - the flock.
    • We are God's gift to God (Father to Son). Not that we're so special and valuable, but that our salvation and sanctification, both works of God, comprise a gift of glory to the Son. We are the result of the work he has done. When we are complete in Christ, holy through and through, then we will be a gift fit for the Christ. Not sufficient, but fitting (he deserves so much more, but we will part of what he deserves).

Respond

  • When I ignore you or sin against you, I am not living as an appropriate gift from the Father to the Son. You are at work in me to sanctify me, and you will complete the work you started, but I could be a more appropriate part of this gift. You make available to me all that I need in order to be more fitting - what I lack is total abandon. Because of the security that you give, you will be trustworthy for us as we abandon ourselves more and more to you.


--

Colby E. Kinser

No comments:

Post a Comment