Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Php 4.10-14

Psg: Php 4.10-14
Date: 6/18/12

Read

Philippians 4:10-14 NET

I have great joy in the Lord because now at last you have again expressed your concern for me. (Now I know you were concerned before but had no opportunity to do anything.) I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content in any circumstance. I have experienced times of need and times of abundance. In any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of contentment, whether I go satisfied or hungry, have plenty or nothing. I am able to do all things through the one who strengthens me. Nevertheless, you did well to share with me in my trouble.

Record

I have learned to be content in any circumstance.

Reflect


  • Paul was in situations where he was treated unfairly, abused, arrested, misunderstood, and he writes this from prison after at least two years under false accusations.
  • It is reasonable to assume that he learned contentment through these things. We can't learn this spiritual discipline through good times.
  • Contentment can be learned. It is actually a spiritual discipline.
  • How did he learn it? In part, I assume, because for him, to live is Christ and to die is gain. See 1.21 in context.

Respond


  • I am fearful to ask you to teach me this kind of contentment.
  • Turn my complaining into praise. Let my gripes be tutors to teach me contentment.
  • May this contentment become so complete that it is infectious.

No comments:

Post a Comment