Friday, June 22, 2012

Jn 15.1-8

Psg: Jn 15.1-8 (link)
Date: 6/21/12

Read

John 15:1-8 NET

“I am the true vine and my Father is the gardener. He takes away every branch that does not bear fruit in me. He prunes every branch that bears fruit so that it will bear more fruit. You are clean already because of the word that I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it remains in the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in me.
“I am the vine; you are the branches. The one who remains in me – and I in him – bears much fruit, because apart from me you can accomplish nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is thrown out like a branch, and dries up; and such branches are gathered up and thrown into the fire, and are burned up. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you want, and it will be done for you. My Father is honored by this, that you bear much fruit and show that you are my disciples.

Record

My Father is honored by this, that you bear much fruit and show that you are my disciples.

Reflect


  • We can get very focused on bearing fruit as our motivator. I wanna abide because I really wanna bear fruit. That's very egocentric. The purest notice is that the Father is glorified by the fruit bearing and the disciple proving.
  • It begins with God, the vinedresser and the vine itself. Then we abide in that vine. Then fruit is borne and discipleship is shown. It then ends with God's glory. God glorifying himself through us, with our part allowing us to be a part of it.
  • I cannot conceive of God's glory, but I can conceive of abiding in Christ and in his word, and having his word abide in me. I can get that much. He puts before me something I can understand, and if I commit to that, then he will accomplish the greater things that I cannot conceive.
  • However, the greater thing can and should be my primary motivator.

Respond


  • You have laid it all out, provided everything. You are the source, the power, the means, and the end. I am a branch that has been given the opportunity to bear fruit to the glory of the vine and the vinedresser. All I really need to do is abide and you will bear fruit to your own glory.
  • Forgive me for seeking my own glory and for being more motivated by being the fruit bearing one than by your glory. Jesus told his disciples to not be fixated on the success of their mission, but that their names are in the book - that they have the privilege of being participants in his Kingdom.
  • CR: Use the TODO list. Don't check it off until I connect it to God's glory, especially in motive.

No comments:

Post a Comment