Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Dt 31.1-6

Psg: Dt 31.1-6 (http://biblia.com/bible/leb/Dt31-6)
Date: 6/27/12

Read

31 And Moses went and spoke these words to all Israel. 2 And he said to them, “I am a hundred and twenty years old today;a I am not able to go out and to come in any longer, and Yahweh said to me, ‘You may not cross this Jordan.’ 3 Yahweh your God is about to cross before you;b he will destroy these nations before you,c and you shall dispossess them. Joshua will be crossing before you,d just as Yahweh promised.e 4 And Yahweh will do to them just as he did to Sihon and to Og, kings of the Amorites, and to their land, which he destroyed with them. 5 And Yahweh will deliver them to you before you,fand you shall do to them according to every commandment that I have commanded you. 6 Be strong and be courageous; you should not be afraid, and you should not be in dread from their presence,g for Yahweh your God is the onegoing with you; he will not leave you alone and he will not forsake you.”

Record

Yahweh your God is the one going with you.

Reflect


  • CFs
    • 31.8:  8 Yahweh is the one goingbefore you;j he will be with you, and he will not leave you alone, and he will not forsake you; you shall not be afraid, and you shall not be discouraged.”
    • Mark 15:34 LEB … voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?” (which is translated, “My God, my God, ⌊why have you forsaken me?”)
      • This promise in Dt 31 makes the sacrifice of Christ more clear.
    • This was spoken to the people of the Old Covenant, related to that covenant. However, the language is repeated in Josh 1.5; Heb 13.5
    • The “One going with you” - See Gen 21:22; 26:3, 28;28:15, 20; 39:2–3; Judg 6:13; Isa 8:10.
    • Mt 28.18-20: GC plus “I am with you always.”
  • BG
    • The Israelites are about to go into the Promised Land after fits and starts, but they won’t have the only national leader they’ve ever known, the glowing one who meets with God. (Although, Joshua has had a front row seat several times.)
    • They are going into a completely unknown and dangerous situation, with determined opposition waiting for them.
  • It is not just that someone will go with you, but who in particular is going with you - YHWH your Elohim, the God of the covenant.
  • Because God has made a promise (3), we can walk into whatever he calls us into, because he goes with us. God goes with us into whatever he calls us to go.

Respond


  • I know at least something about what you have called me to. Therefore, I know that you are going with me into at least that much. Therefore, I need not be discouraged or afraid (v. 8), and I can be strong and courageous (v. 6).
  • CR: Rather than get caught up trying to measure my activity on worldly standards, focus instead on identifying as much of the call as possible, and then being strong and courageous going full bore into that call.

No comments:

Post a Comment