Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Resume to Presume to Assume

If I assume that everyone is out to get me, and you innocently ask, “What are you up to?”, I will conclude you’re trying to find a way to accuse me of something wrong.

If I assume that today is going to be rotten and I hit a normal red light, I’ll mutter under my breath, “See? I told you so!”

If I assume that you have the best intentions, then when you make a mistake, I’m very likely to shrug it off.

What we assume has a strong influence on how we interpret what we see and the decisions we make. That’s not a groundbreaking conclusion. Consider, though, that what we assume about God will have huge implications on how we interpret what He does, what happens throughout the day, what opportunities are ahead of us, and so on. Assumptions matter theologically to our daily, mundane, “secular” lives.

Not just what we believe about God, but what we assume about God. What we believe may be a theological truth we accept or a deeply held belief that rumbles in our soul. What we assume is what we take for granted before the evidence is in, what we expect to happen and what we expect it to mean. Without a strong argument to the contrary, what we assume will be what we eventually conclude.

It’s like the instant replay rule in football. The initial call is our assumption, the replay is the evidence, and unless there is irrefutable evidence to overturn, the initial call will stand even if it’s wrong. Assumptions change outcomes.

Take God’s sovereignty. If we assume that His sovereignty doesn’t extend to the work that we do, the place where we live, the people that we know, and the strengths that we have, then we’ll make several conclusions. We’ll conclude that where we live is effectively random, and therefore our neighbors are random (not sovereignly placed in our lives). Our jobs are our jobs to do with whatever we please, as long as we give God some attention and work ethically. Our abilities are either a roll of the dice or just what we happened to develop.

But if we assume that God’s sovereignty is very extensive (but not necessarily deterministic), then we will conclude very differently about the very same aspects of life. Our lives aren’t random and our neighbors are people God intends for us to be near and even interact with, specifically. Our gifts are sovereignly appointed and therefore our lives have a particular place in a larger scheme. Our calls are to something more than being decent people. Yes, our lives could easily be different, but they’re not.

My assumption will influence my conclusion without irrefutable evidence, even if I’m wrong. So, I need to think carefully about my assumptions, especially my assumptions about God.

Experiment a little. Take a week to hold a different assumption about the sovereignty of God and see how that flavors your own interpretation of your week, your work, the people you meet, and the abilities you’ve been given. How will you end up reading your week differently?

What’s your assumption on the sovereignty of God? Not just your belief, but your assumption?

No comments:

Post a Comment