Thursday, December 19, 2013

Why I Don't Play the Lottery

$120 million after taxes. That's what one Georgia woman gained this week in the Mega Millions lottery. That makes you dream and wonder what you'd do with it - not just the indulgent things, but also the noble things. People you could take care of, debts you could pay, education you could enable, non-profit projects you could underwrite, all kinds of things.

Gambling, per se, isn't directly forbidden in Scripture. Buying a lotto ticket doesn't necessarily have to come from clearly forbidden motives - greed, addiction, or lack of wisdom with finances. What's a buck or two, especially if it's just for fun?

And yet, I still don't play the lottery. I am not saying that everyone who does so is wrong. I'm not telling you what you should do. We can discuss our reasons for our choices without judging the choices of another. I offer here my reasons for not playing for you to consider, ignore, disagree with, or critique.

I know me too well. I know that if I start playing the lottery, no matter how noble or recreational my intention, I will inevitably start having greedier and greedier wants. I will start wanting more stuff "when I win the lottery," and even without winning anything, would become a greedier person. I can't prevent myself from doing this. And then I would be buying just a little bit more into the lie that more stuff will make me more happy. Plus I also know that I would obsess, even just a little, on getting the results. I don't like what would happen inside of me if I played.

I know math too well. The statistical "expected value" of the lottery is negative. Yes, there are winners. But if you multiply the chances of the cost (100%) by the cost (negative $1 / ticket, for example) and then compare that to the chances of winning (mega-mega-tiny) multiplied by the benefit (jackpot), you get the "expected value," and the expected value for the lottery is negative. Why would I get caught up in something that has a negative expected value?

I know others too well. I would likely lose money. But if I did win money, I would win money by others losing money. I would much rather make money through win-win scenarios, or just even-trade scenarios. But gaining money through the lottery is necessitated by others losing money. That's not a game I want to play.

Furthermore, the excuse of "just think how much I could give to the church" does not impress me - that's almost always a self-delusion to excuse greed.

I'm not saying that there isn't a way to play the lottery in an acceptable manner. But I know that I can't play the lottery in an acceptable manner. So I don't play at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment