Friday, April 20, 2012

2 Cor 5.16-21

Psg: 2 Cor 5.16-21 (http://biblia.com/bible/gs-netbible/2Co5.16)
Date: 4/19/12

Read

5:16 So then from now on we acknowledge* no one from an outward human point of view.* Even though we have known Christ from such a human point of view,* now we do not know him in that way any longer. 5:17 So then, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; what is old has passed away* – look, what is new* has come!* 5:18 And all these things are from God who reconciled us to himself through Christ, and who has given us the ministry of reconciliation. 5:19 In other words, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting people’s trespasses against them, and he has given us* the message of reconciliation. 5:20 Therefore we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making His plea* through us. We plead with you* on Christ’s behalf, “Be reconciled to God!” 5:21 God* made the one who did not know sin*to be sin for us, so that in him* we would become the righteousness of God.

Record

From now on... (16)
Therefore... (20)

Reflect

  • Because all things are new in Christ, from this point forward, everything is different, even the way we look at people.
    • New way of living.
    • New way of thinking.
    • New way of seeing.
    • New mission and message.
  • From now on - the old stuff is gone. We don’t need to look back, we don’t need to do anything the old way, we don’t need to pay for it.
  • Therefore, we have a new purpose - the message of reconciliation.
  • This cannot be undone.
  • How do we see each other this way? If I’m stuck looking at others (and myself) according to the flesh, how do I adopt Paull’s outlook?
    • He bases it on how we know know Christ.
    • He bases it on the theological reality of positional truth.
    • He bases it on where the newness comes from.
  • Looking at one another the old way is just plain easy.
    • This includes looking at ourselves that way.
    • It is perhaps even sinful to willfully look at each other this way.
    • Is Paul only referring to how we see other brethren?
  • In some respects, this is true whether we practice it or not. So perhaps part of our response is to adopt as a practice what God has already made true - that we do in fact know one another as members of the New Creation. Drop the old habit.
  • This also applies to looking at women with lust.
  • As much as I look at others according to the flesh, I inhibit the spiritual relationship I can have with them.
  • Seeing people as God does carries with it a responsibility to them.
    • I shy away from seeing  people this way because it becomes too burdensome to see the lost as lost.
    • But then, that is trying to carry a load that doesn’t belong to me.
    • Choosing to see them according to the flesh is an escape from the responsibility God has for me.
  • This could even affect:
    • Arguing with others - changing if I argue and what I argue about.
    • Patience with and grace for others.
    • Counseling.
    • Intercession.
    • Prayer requests - are my prayer requests based on looking at my life according to the flesh or according being a new creation?
    • Mocking, poking fun.
    • Reacting to the news.
    • Work (not to mention coworkers).
    • etc.

Respond

  • Help me to look at others and at myself in the new way, in the way I know Christ. Therefore, help me to know Christ more thoroughly.
  • Help me to see the lost as lost, but also to refuse to carry your load for them. Give me the right burden for them.
  • Change my willingness to carry the responsibility you want me to have for others by seeing them as you see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment