Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Are These the Signs of the Times?

After the rare east coast earthquake, I've already heard several people pondering if this, with all the other recent disasters and economic turmoil, is a sign of the End Times. And for the most part, these ponderings are not rabid doomsday prophesying, but rational contemplation of the reality that there will be that Day one day. Could it be that these are the rumblings of that Day?

Is this earthquake a sign of the End Times?

Yes.

(I am tempted at this point to say, "And you'll have to read next week's article to find out how!")

I say this with confidence only in the following (and somewhat anti-climactic) way: Every earthquake, every tornado (large or small), every tsunami, every war, and every rumor of war is a sign that the End Times are coming. They are constant reminders that our race is fallen, our world is fallen, our universe is fallen, and will continue toward their entropic demise. Every thing that is fallen will either be renewed or will deteriorate into destruction. All these "signs" are evidence that the End Times are coming - that they must come.

They may or may not be harbingers of when the End Times will be irretrievably upon us. Some say yes, others say no. It seems to me that there must be further progress of the Gospel and far more severe persecution before those days are upon us, but the arguments that the days ahead of us are few are worth listening to. The reality is that none of us know, and to claim to know is overstepping revelation.

But ask yourself this: If the Day was indeed right around the corner, what would I do differently? How would I relate to people? What would my priorities be? What would I stop doing? And then consider whether or not we should be living that way no matter when the Day will be.

1 comment:

  1. If I knew for sure that I wouldn't live past 65 (for whatever reason), I would handle my $ differently...give it away rather than trying to save for retirement. But I don't know that.... If I knew for sure that God would always provide daily bread, I'd also give my $ away rather than storing up. But I don't know that.... There are so many deep needs in the world that it seems wrong to save up for what might never come. But maybe the world won't end this week or next year.

    ReplyDelete