Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Easiest Voters' Guide

The elections are coming up quickly, which always raises the question of what I should say. The law allows me to say some things, but not others (and generally speaking, these are guidelines that I think are pretty good). It would be inappropriate and unethical (more than just illegal) for me to use my privileged position to unduly influence the process.

I can endorse causes and principles. I can inform on particular issues. I cannot endorse particular candidates. Nor do I want to.

But I like to take a different angle on the issue of elections. (Why should I start being normal now?)

Ecclesiastes has a lot to say about wisdom and politics. In 7:19, the "Teacher" (1:1) says that "Wisdom gives a wise person more protection than ten rulers in a city." In 9:13-16, he shows how wisdom in a ruler is better than power. And in 10:16-17, he compares a land that has a foolish ruler with a land that has a wise and noble leader - the difference between "woe" and "blessed."

The blessing for the land comes through wise rulers. Biblical wisdom is the most important quality in a political leader, in my opinion. I have personal opinions about left v. right politics, but I am more interested in having a wise ruler than a ruler who shares my political views. "Wisdom," of course, in terms of God's wisdom, not worldly wisdom. When I choose between candidates, my first thought is not on which letter is in parentheses after their names on the ballot. My first thought is, "Who do I think will display more of God's wisdom?"

Instead of voting along party lines, I want to vote along wisdom lines. I believe it will fair far better for our land if our rulers are wise by God's definition.

Some of you may say, "Well, if they are really wise in God's eyes, then they will be from the XYZ political party - since that's what is wise!" I can easily point to exceptions to this rule from any party you want to pick. Whether or not one party is more or less likely to produce a biblically wise person is not my point - I simply want to consider biblical wisdom when choosing for whom to vote, and to make sure that all other factors are less important in my decision process.

I would say, however, that choosing not to vote is unwise more often than not. Please exercise this rare privilege. And imagine what would happen to our land if more and more of our leaders displayed biblical wisdom.

(Congratulations to our new American citizen, Julie, who will be able to vote for the first time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment