Tuesday, July 21, 2015

You Just Don't Have Enough Faith

A friend of mine lost his job - laid off after working diligently to turn around the logistical operations of his company. Then, his own parents told him, "If you had more faith, you wouldn't have been laid off."

I've known more than a few people who became sick, anything from a routine cold to cancer, only to be told by their fellow church members that obviously they didn't have enough faith. Otherwise, they wouldn't have been sick, they say.

I'm sure most of you have also know people (or have been the person) to receive such disheartening "comfort" in your time of need. I hope none of you have been the one dishing it out. The Old Testament book of Job shows us that this kind of advice is older than the Bible itself.

However, these examples are a bit too obvious, almost comical, if they weren't so harmful and uncaring. There is a more subtle, more insidious strain of this disease. Something bad happens to you, something painful, some form of loss, some minor or major disaster, and you begin to wonder, "OK, what did I do wrong? I suppose I didn't pray enough. If I had just been more diligent to read my Bible. God, I know I'm not living right ... are You trying to teach me something?"

Although it sounds different, it's really the same kind of bad advice as "You just don't have enough faith. Otherwise..." And you're the one giving yourself that bad advice!

I try to imagine someone who spews this kind of counsel and how he or she would give the Apostle Paul spiritual guidance. The folks in Antioch pelt Paul with stones and kick him out of town for preaching Christ. "Paul, if you just had more faith, then they wouldn't have hurt you." Paul gets falsely accused of crimes and spends a total of four years in prison before he gets a trial, and an unfair one at that. "Paul, you must not have been reading your Bible enough. Otherwise, you'd be a free man." Paul gets a "thorn" in his flesh, and instead of discovering that God's grace is sufficient for him, he's told by his friend that obviously, he's not praying with enough faith (2 Cor 12:1-10).

Paul has a different opinion about his life, from 2 Cor 4:

7 But we have this treasure in clay jars, so that the extraordinary power belongs to God and does not come from us. 8 We are experiencing trouble on every side, but are not crushed; we are perplexed, but not driven to despair; 9 we are persecuted, but not abandoned; we are knocked down, but not destroyed, 10 always carrying around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be made visible in our body. 11 For we who are alive are constantly being handed over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that the life of Jesus may also be made visible in our mortal body.

Yes, the lack-of-faith response is easily debunked as the necessary cause for specific suffering. But that doesn't mean it isn't true.

The truth is: You don't have enough faith. You just don't. And, perhaps, some of the things we suffer, we suffer because we don't have enough faith. But we can't let the cold-hearted, ill-informed, judgmental comments of bad counselors keep us from realizing that, in fact, we don't have enough faith, and if we had more faith, our lives would be different. Not necessarily easier or more pleasant, but certainly different. More like the life of Christ, specifically.

"But I can't just turn on faith like a water faucet!" You can't? Actually, you can, because what you're waiting for is not faith but confidence. Faith is merely choosing to live as though some claim is true. If you tell me there's $100 waiting for me on the kitchen counter, I don't need a wave of boldness to move me like the wind into the kitchen. If I believe you, I'll just decide to get up and walk into the kitchen. If I don't believe you sufficiently, I'll keep watching baseball on TV. Just like a water faucet.

What bolsters faith into strong confidence is not a flood of sure feelings, but rather acts of faith already done. I may not have confidence that $100 is in the kitchen ... until after I walk in there by faith. Then I'll be confident. Of course, it matters who I'm trusting in and whether or not I'm trusting something he or she actually promised. But faith, whether justified or not, is acting as if a claim is true. And we don't have enough of that.

So, you don't have enough faith. Get over it. More to the point, you might be confusing faith with confidence. Accept what God says for Himself, and as simple as getting up and walking into the kitchen, walk and act and talk and decide and speak like the promise is true. That's an act of faith, whether or not it is all that confident.

Confidence will come if and only if 1) what God says is trustworthy, and 2) we walk as if it is long enough to discover that it actually is.

2 comments:

  1. So does that mean you can have an act of faith without belief? If you told me there is a million dollars in the kitchen, I probably wouldn't believe you. But on the off chance you're right, I may go check the kitchen just to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting question.

      Would that qualify as an "act of faith"? Or is that just hedging one's bets because he happens to have the spare time? Or perhaps an "act of suspicion" (which is not illegitimate with God - kind of a "come and see" attitude).

      If you never did go into the kitchen, James 2 would say you've not shown your faith.

      And just what are you implying by "on the off chance you're right"???? ;-)

      Delete