Tuesday, December 2, 2014

I Don't Have Time for This!

This Sunday is the last in our series on how Jesus redefines everything in our lives as disciples, pulling our thoughts mostly out of 1 and 2 Corinthians. To review, this is where we've been:

  1. I am a Disciple (the "tree") 
  2. I am on Mission (the "fruit") 
  3. I am Being Transformed (the "roots")
  4. I Worship the Risen Christ (the "trunk")
  5. I Belong to a Community (the "branches") 
  6. I am a Disciple who Makes Disciples (but what kind?) 
  7. I am Missionary (learning to think like a missionary right here)
  8. I am a Consumer (we can become consumers of church, rather than disciples)
  9. I have a Vocation (our 3 callings)

This Sunday's message will be "I don't have time for this!" from 1 Cor 9:19-27.

And we don't really have time for all this ... do we??? I simply can't add all those things to my life, because I'm already hovering around the "overwhelmed" status. Quite frankly, I just end up feeling guilty about all this, which is worse than before.

We must be honest enough to admit whatever feelings like this we have, and we must be brave enough to explore those questions.

I'm not going to explore here what we're going to explore Sunday morning, but I did want to create a simple list of the series so we can see the big picture of where we've been. I also wanted to put the question about time in your mind in advance to get you thinking about it so that we gather together with fresh, real questions and ideas.

Let me prime the pump with the following:

  • Does God ever give us too little time for what He desires for us?
  • Are we foisting our idea of "time" onto God's plan? If so, how?
  • What are we not fully believing that then leads us to think we don't have enough time?
  • Are there things I'm not yet willing to give up in order to live life "on mission" according to a list like this? If so, how should I respond?

No comments:

Post a Comment