Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A Chair Speaks

I'm sitting at a local restaurant-bar getting some stuff done on the computer, and right in front of me is this chair:



I thought it was a little strange for the chair to be facing to the side of the bar. In fact, all of the chairs at the bar are facing this way. Not toward the bar. Toward the front door - where the guests first appear. Inviting people to come in and be comfortable.

From a marketing perspective, this is clever. A simple thing that affects your immediate impression when you first step in. "I'm welcome here. In fact, they've been expecting me."

How are the chairs facing in our homes, in our churches, in our lives? Is the place where guests first appear oriented toward them or us? Not just the physical orientation of furniture, but also the atmosphere and the attitude? Do our "chairs" face away, making visitors feel like they're interrupting rather than being welcome to come in and be comfortable? Or are our "chairs" facing the visitor, guest, friend, or neighbor - attentive and ready? "You're welcome here in my home, my church, my life. In fact, I've been expecting you."

No comments:

Post a Comment