Thursday, October 31, 2013

3mm v. 180 lbs

A 3mm stone was pitted against a 180-lb man ... and the stone won. Most of you know that I was recently knocked out of the game for most of a week due to a kidney stone. Those who've had them know - those who haven't can only guess about the intense pain stones can cause. The first day that I tried to make it back into the office, our Admin (Christina) texted the chairman of the Elders (her husband, Dan) suggesting that he call me to tell me to go back home. Apparently, I didn't look so good. (I called it quits before Dan had a chance to call, because I didn't feel so good, either.)

Many of you expressed sympathy, offered prayers, and were eager to help out in any way possible. There was nothing really that you could have done (unless you could have somehow had the stone instead of me - any takers?), but the consistent, heartfelt offers were therapeutic in themselves. It made recovery far easier to tolerate. So, thanks to all of you - you did in fact make me feel better, which is what I needed most.

What impressed me about this whole episode was just how quickly I was taken out of commission. I was feeling a little off for about a week, but that Saturday morning, strong pain came on quickly, and then strong pain became intense pain in just minutes, and then I was useless for days. I was taken out of making progress on my house todo list, I was taken out of being able to ride my bike, I was taken out of going to the store, and after the pain meds, I was taken out of being able to sustain connected thoughts.

But I was most struck by how quickly I was taken out of ministry. In a matter of minutes, there were very few of the things I normally do in ministry that I could continue doing. Even praying was hard to sustain. Just like that - I could do basically none of it.

That didn't strike at my identity (which can happen when a man is unable to do his job), but it was a fresh reminder of what a privilege vocational ministry is. Even considering all the hard, stressful, heartbreaking, frustrating, thankless, fruitless, burdensome moments that inevitably occur, I realized anew what an amazing privilege you allow me to have. Even just the thought of not being able to do this ever again makes me profoundly sad. If the Lord takes me out of it, we'd adjust, of course, but it would mean a tremendous time of mourning for me.

Thanks for the prayers and offers of help. Thanks for the privilege of serving you.

Sidebar: Thanks, Jimmy, for being called off the bench late in the 9th inning and still being able to bring in the winning run. Great job pinch hitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment