Tuesday, February 12, 2013

An Interpretive Question

We read Scripture ultimately to be changed. We resist change, we put up defenses against change, we make up excuses of why we don't need to change (or can't change), and we sometimes turn to Scripture to merely reinforce what we already believe (whether or not it is true). But truth be told, we want things to be different as the result of reading Scripture, and underneath our defenses is a realization that the real change needed is in us, not just our circumstances. We approach Scripture one way, and want to step from Scripture being a different way ... somehow.

We want Scripture to intersect with real life and make real life better (because there's no way real life can make Scripture any better).

Lynne and I had one Sunday school teacher in Texas who asked the same question at the end of every lesson: "So what?" We just finished taking an excellent look at what the Scripture says, how it spoke into the original context, and what various words and ideas mean. But so what? What does it matter? How do these truths make a bit of difference in my life? Now, that is a bit of an egocentric way to look at Scripture, but it is also one of the reasons God wants us to read Scripture.

Pastors have long been taught to have an "application" with every sermon. Sermons that just relay the facts and historical data may be interesting to a few Bible nerds, but there's no challenge for the listener to aspire to live more biblically, no call to change. So, have an application! Teach the Word, but then show what to do with it. Quite frankly, I find this the hardest part of developing a sermon, and one I rarely do to my own satisfaction.

My preaching professor didn't like the word "application," but rather used the phrase "contemporary relevance." Not that you would want to use that phrase too often in a sermon, but to think in terms of the "CR" for sermon preparation. It differs from "application" in the sense that the CR is not just a "therefore, do this" idea, but rather the more involved process of understanding the congregation and seeing how the eternal Word is particularly relevant to their "here and now."

I have stumbled across another question to ask yourself when reading Scripture. I meet weekly with Brennan Connolly and David Gramling to read and discuss Scripture and challenging books. At least once in every meeting, we ask the same question of what we just read, "Based on this passage, what does it mean to be a fully committed follower of Jesus?" I have discovered this to be a fantastic challenge question for discussion. I have also discovered it to be fantastic to ask myself during my own daily Quiet Time. The question somehow pushes me to dig deeper into the passage in ways I don't do otherwise. And the impact of Scripture has a new angle on me (rather than the other way around - me having a new angle on Scripture).

All of these are good questions and phrases to help us dig into Scripture. Don't just read Scripture - ask challenging questions of Scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment