Wednesday, August 29, 2012

What's a "Cadenza?"

What's a "Cadenza"?

I've heard this question more than a few times about the name of this weekly column. (I've also heard, "What's a 'credenza'?" from a handful of people.) Perhaps it would be good to explain the term and the idea behind it.

First of all, a "credenza" is a piece of furniture, and is a more familiar term to us than "cadenza." It would make for a very odd column title indeed - what's a piece of furniture have to do with this column in a church newsletter? However, the term we're using here is a less familiar term "cadenza."

A "cadenza" is a musical term. Perhaps you've noticed a consistent theme in Grace Notes using musical terminology. "Grace Notes" itself is a musical term (a notation in printed music to describe "ornamented" notes). "New Notes" is the section for all the latest-breaking news. "Your Cue" lists opportunities for ministry and service. "Parent Beat" is the column for parenting issues. "A Tempo" (which means "back to the regular speed") is for listing events coming up. "Reprise" (which means to do something again) lists those items that have been in previous issues of Grace Notes.

So, the reason for using the word "cadenza" is thematic. And now to the meaning...

The word "cadenza" refers to a part of a song that is a solo, and usually a solo with a tempo set by the musician rather than a regular beat. So, you could call this column "off-beat stuff where the pastor is way out there by himself"!

I use the Cadenza column as a platform to play around with some ideas out loud. Sometimes it's a reflection on Scripture or a theological topic. Sometimes it's just having some fun. And still other times I want to draw attention to happenings within the church (locally and globally).

There have been a few times where someone expressed some disagreement with what I wrote, and that's perfectly fine with me. A musician doesn't always perform every "solo" well, and I know in advance that I will make a few mistakes (and I try to correct the more serious ones). Or, perhaps we just have a difference of opinion, which is going to happen in a healthy church. But you have always been full of grace, which I appreciate and want to extend back to you in return.

Thanks for your feedback - I welcome it! I pray that at least some of the articles are helpful and interesting to you. Thanks to Christina (and Ashley during the summer) for putting Grace Notes together every week. It's not always an easy task, and I truly appreciate the effort. I hope you do, too.

One final note (to stick with the musical theme), I want to publicly thank Damon Jasperson for the fantastic series of "Parent Beat" articles recenly. Every one of them has been thought-provoking (and I am jealous of his writing style). We weren't sure we'd continue the quality of articles that Susan Harrison had been submitting, but Damon has allayed those concerns. Thanks, Damon. We'll take as many as you've got within you!

No comments:

Post a Comment