Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Hallmark Holidays

This coming Sunday is Fathers' Day - one of those days I call a "Hallmark Holiday." Not because there's anything wrong with them, or anything wrong with Hallmark (our sister-in-law works there), but just as a fun name for "holidays" that are not "holy days." These are "holidays" created by society, not biblical events or decrees. Again, there's nothing wrong with them.

Fathers' Day was started in 1910 in Spokane, Washington, by the efforts of Sonora Smart Dodd, who wanted to honor her dad like people honored mothers on Mothers' Day. Mothers' Day has it's roots in some pagan deity rituals, which the church eventually redefined to be the day to honor your "Mother Church," the church you were baptized in. Then in the 1600's, the church in England expanded the day to include celebrating biological mothers, too. It wasn't until 1870 that Mothers' Day became part of the American tradition, when Julia Ward Howe (who wrote The Battle Hymn of the Republic) called for a day to commemorate mothers, and the idea caught on.

I think celebrating moms and dads is a good thing. And we might as well pick a day on the calendar to make sure that we're honoring them as we should. Whether it's my mom and dad, my in-laws, or just moms and dads in general, they are worth honoring.

On the other hand, you will find that I'm rather low key about building my preaching calendar around these "Hallmark Holidays." My preaching calendar is based on Christian holidays and whichever books of the Bible or biblical topics we're studying. Perhaps I'll choose a topic to address some current events, if appropriate. But I'm not in the habit of always preaching a Mothers' Day sermon on Mothers' Day, or a Fathers' Day sermon on Fathers' Day. On occasion, perhaps. But not every year. Part of my motive is to make sure society isn't dictating our church calendar, especially our preaching calendar - even though there's nothing wrong with days like Fathers' Day.

But ... you'll notice ... I am writing a Fathers' Day article! Hmmmm .... how do I squirm out of this conundrum????

How about this way: I love you, Dad!

1 comment:

  1. Found your new blog on Facebook today. I always appreciate your astute thoughts!! I have often thought about how much our society and especially the retail world revolves around the days others have picked for us to celebrate. I had never heard the history of Mother's Day....thanks!

    ReplyDelete